Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This is how we rollatini

Eggplant is another one of those foods that I was truly petrified of. Those big purple odd-shaped vegetables would stare me down as I walked through the produce aisle, taunting me as if to say "Hey lady, you can't handle me!" OK, maybe that is a little extreme, but that was how I felt! I finally gave in and decided to tackle the beast, and I was surprised by how with a little effort, eggplant can be transformed in a variety of delicious and healthy dishes. Below is my recent creation of healthy Eggplant Rollatini, filled with a delicious ricotta/spinach mixture that leaves you very satisfied. This recipe takes a little longer than my other ones to prep, since you need to sweat the eggplant prior to starting. But believe me, it is well worth the effort.


Eggplant Rollatini
28 points in whole dish

1 20oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 egg plant, peeled and sliced vertically into long flat strips (between 12-14 strips)
¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 egg whites
2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
2 cups Francesco Rinaldi Marinara sauce

Sweat the eggplant for 1 hr with salt. Pat dry and wipe off excess salt.
Dip eggplant in egg white and then in breadcrumbs.
Spray large skillet pan with PAM.
Over medium-high heat, brown each side of the eggplant, spraying each piece with PAM before you begin to cook.
Mix together spinach, ricotta and spices. Divide filling evenly between your breaded eggplant and roll up.
Place 1 cup sauce at the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with PAM. Place eggplant, seam side down into dish and top with remaining tomato sauce.
Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment