Sunday, April 4, 2010

Red Onion Chicken—a new take on an old favorite

Most people like fried chicken, however most fried chicken is really high in fat and calories, so it isn’t a go-to food for those who are watching what they eat.

I came across this recipe when I was 16–I was in Sweden with my family and we were reading food magazines (like usual) and I saw a recipe for pan-fried chicken with a red onion breading. I thought it looked yummy so I tried it, and after 15 years of tweaking (yes, now you all know how old I am), I came up with this recipe for red onion chicken.

Red Onion Chicken
Makes 4 cutlets
6 points per cutlet (about 300 calories)

Ingredients

2 chicken breast, filleted into 4 cutlets (about 16 oz of chicken)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 tbs Italian seasoning
1/4 red onion, finely diced
1 egg white
salt/pepper
PAM

Directions
-In a shallow bowl, mix egg white with 2 tbs water.
-In another shallow bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt/pepper and red onion together.
-Dip each cutlet in the egg white and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture. Place each coated cutlet on a large cutting board.
-Once all cutlets are coated, spray them generously on one side with PAM.
-Pre-heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray pan generously with PAM.
-Place chicken, PAM side down in the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
-Spray tops with PAM and flip chicken, cooking 2-3 minutes on the other side or until chicken is cooked through.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind

No comments:

Post a Comment