Thursday, May 27, 2010

Swedish meatballs better than Ikea's

I went to Ikea last weekend to get some stuff for my upcoming move. As I passed the cafeteria, I realized that I have not made my Swedish meatballs in AGES. They are a little time consuming, but very yummy and surprisingly low in point. In Sweden they are usually served with a sweet cream-based sauce, but I have lightened it up by eliminating the cream and focusing on the sweetness by adding honey. Serve with boiled red potatoes and lingonberry jam (similar to a cross between red currant and cranberry) for a complete meal!

As we say in Sweden "smaklig måltid"

Swedish Meatballs
28 points in all of meatballs
Makes 20-30 meatballs
Comes out to about 200 calories in 5 meatballs

-1.25 pounds 85% lean beef
-1/4 cup bread crumbs
-1/2 cup milk
-1 egg
-1 small cooked potato
-1/2 half onion, finely grated
-salt, pepper, parsley

-Mix bread crumbs and milk, Season with salt pepper and parsley. Let stand until thick.
-Mash up cooked potato and mix into bread crumb mixture. Add egg and grated onion. Mix until smooth.
-Mix in ground meat until just blended.
-Spray large pan with PAM and heat to medium-high.
-With wet hands, roll meat mixture into 3/4 inch balls.
-Brown meatballs on each side until they no longer look pink, then simmer on low until cooked through.


SAUCE

5 points in sauce

-1 can beef broth
-1/4 cup honey
-Soy sauce
-Pepper & salt


-Remove meatballs from pan. Over low heat, add broth and mix rapidly with a wisk to loosen any bits.
-Mix in honey and soy. Reduce by half. Slowly add corn starch and mix well. Add pepper and parsley.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'll definitely be trying this out. My family LOVES Ikea meatballs! :)

    ReplyDelete