Sunday, February 13, 2011

Farm Box Special--Cabbage and Beef Stew


I am not a huge group coupon user, but when a recent deal came up to have organic fruits and vegetables delivered to my door for half price, I could not resist! One of the beautiful pieces of produce I got was a HUGE head of cabbage. I racked my brain for uses and I remembered my mother's Beef and Cabbage Stew that she used to make all of the time when we were kids. I have not had it in ages, and I figured, why not. It came out quite delicious and I know it will be perfect for those cool GA winter nights.

Cabbage and Beef Stew
PointsPlus Value: 2
85 calories per serving
Servings: 12 (1 cup per serving)

Ingredients
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium uncooked potato, peeled, quartered and sliced
1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
15 oz can stewed tomatoes, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
3 Tbsp uncooked brown rice
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cups canned beef broth
2 cups water
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley

Instructions
-Brown meat with onion. Drain excess fat by pouring mixture into a fine strainer and letting fat drip off.
-Add rice and stewed tomatoes. Mix well and let simmer 2 minutes.
-Add remaining ingredients, let simmer 1+ hours.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment