Sunday, February 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Baby!

I can't believe that my little man is turning 3 (which also means that I am turning 33, but that's a whole other topic...). Birthdays mean parties, and it seems as though little man has 3 parties every year--one with his buddies (Batman-themed this year), one with our family (Hollywood Studios to see Jake and the Neverland Pirates) and one in school.

I wanted to mix things up this year and make a special treat for his class. For those of you on Pinterest, you are familiar with all of the imaginary birthday parties, houses, and weddings you begin to plan in your dream-world. I decided to take on one of the baking projects for little man's class party, and make Oreo-pops. To my surprise, they were SO easy, and I am thrilled with how they came out. I followed the step-by-step tutorial on the blog How Does She? and in a matter of 10 minutes I had these beautiful treats all prepared for 20 soon-to-be sugar-rushed toddlers.


After cranking out these bad-boys I proceeded to go ahead and cook this week's remaining dinners, with my Valentine's Day baby's favorite, spaghetti and meat sauce, as his birthday dish.

This weeks line up:
Sunday--Roasted turkey breast with tzimmis, stuffing and mashed potatoes.
Monday--Dinner out with friends after hubby's work event
Tuesday--Spaghetti and meat sauce, followed by birthday cake!
Wednesday--Jerk chicken with sweet potato mash and black-eyed pea relish*
Thursday--Bookclub (boys are on their own!)
Friday-Sunday--DISNEY!

Black-eyed peas are a food that I was not introduced to until I moved South. I had them for the first time ever at Sweet Potatoes Restaurant in Savannah. I fell in love with this relish one day at lunch, and I have been trying to perfect my recipe ever since.

Black-Eyed Pea Relish


Ingredients
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs white vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tbs dried parsley
1 15oz can black-eyed peas, drained
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
1 shallot, diced
salt/pepper

Directions
-In a small bowl mix together vinegar, oil, agave nectar, parsley, salt and pepper.
-Add remaining ingredients, stir well, and let sit overnight in the fridge.


Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

2 comments:

  1. So cute! You did an amazing job! They really only took 10 minutes!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! No time at all--I was going to make cake pops but the last time i made them they took FOREVER! These were super easy--the hardest part was writing the "3" on them.

      Delete