Monday, July 12, 2010

Falling for Falafel Take Two

I have been craving falafel, but since I am a new girl in a new city I have no idea where to get it. I have not been able to find my favorite frozen variety, featured in my November 5th blog so I have had to come up with my own recipe. I created this tonight so that I could have falafel tomorrow for lunch. It smells delicious, and the final verdict will be in tomorrow, but I think it is safe to say that it is going to be yummy!

Baked Falafel
Makes 9 falafel balls
2 points per ball
75 calories, 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of fiber


Ingredients
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, divided
1 egg
1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbs fresh
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ red onion, chopped

Directions
-Preheat oven 350 degrees
-In a large bowl, mix garlic, parsley, ¼ cup breadcrumbs, and egg. Let sit 5 minutes until thick.
-Mix in red onion.
-Add chickpeas.
-Mash entire mixture with a potato masher or a large fork until you get a smooth consistency.
-Form into golf-ball sized balls.
-Roll each ball lightly in breadcrumbs.
-Spray with each ball with PAM and bake 10 minutes. Turn each ball over, spray again with PAM, and cook 5 more minutes.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment