Monday, October 4, 2010

Holy Guacamole!

So want to know one of the weirdest things that happened to me after I had a baby? I went from HATING guacamole to not being able to get enough. I can remember the moment so clearly--I was at my friend Elexia's house and she served the most delicious looking guacamole I had ever seen, I just had to have a bite. That turned into about 20 bites, and my whirlwind relationship with this delicious dip was born.

I can't promise you my guacamole tastes as good as Elexia's, but it is as close as I can get. It is healthy in the sense that it uses all natural ingredients, but being that avocados are high in both fat and calories, be sure to eat it in moderation.

Now to make my rendition of guacamole, first you must make your own pico de gallo. This is easy and fast, but tastes best if you let it sit overnight:

Pico de Gallo
75 calories in entire dish
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1/4 cup diced green pepper
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 tbs cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix it all together, and you are done! Best part, it is super low in calories, and has 0 Weight Watchers points.

Guacamole
14 points in entire recipe
600 calories, 56 grams of fat (YIKES), 8 grams of fiber

2 Hass avocados
1 large clove garlic, minced (don't use a garlic press, the garlic becomes overpowering)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 cup Pico de Gallo

-Cut avocado in half and remove seed, setting it to the side for storage (putting the seed back into the finished product prevents browning).
-Scoop out avocado from peel and set in large mixing bowl.
-Add minced garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice.
-Using a potato masher (or a large fork) mush up the avocado until it becomes mostly smooth, with some small chunks still remaining.
-Mix in the Pico de Gallo.
-Add extra salt, pepper and lime juice to taste (I find if my Pico de Gallo is made just right I do not need additional seasoning).

If not serving right away, return seed to finished product and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay! I LOVE Guacamole! We will definitely be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete