Sunday, August 8, 2010

Turkey and Orzo stuffed Peppers

I think I have a love/hate relationship with stuffed peppers. I feel like I can never get the right combo to fill them with, and the consistency of my peppers always ends up being too hard, too mushy, or just blaaaa.

Tonight I tried out a new filling by combining orzo with ground turkey and a little spice. Since they are cooking as I type I can't speak much to the flavor, but I am pretty excited at the thought of tomorrow night's dinner.

Turkey and Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Serves 4
4 points per pepper
200 calories, 4 grams fat, 1 gram fiber


Ingredients
2 green pepper, sliced in half so each pepper gives you 2 cups
8 oz 93% lean ground turkey
1/3 cup orzo, slightly undercooked and drained
2 tbs breadcrumbs
1 small onion, diced and sauteed until clear and soft
1 egg white
2 tbs water
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (more for added spice)
1 cup marinara sauce (look for ones that range from 50-70 calories per half cup), divided

Directions
-Pre-heat oven 400 degrees.
-Steam your peppers until they are slightly soft (about 2-3 minutes in the microwave). Cool and set aside.
-In a medium sized bowl, mix breadcrumbs, spices, egg white and water.
-Add sauteed onion and orzo. Mix well.
-Mix in ground turkey until all ingredients are well combined.
-Dived mixture into 4 and equally distribute between each pepper
-Spray an 8x8 glass dish with PAM. Cover the bottom with 1/2 cup marinara sauce.
-Place stuffed peppers in dish.
-Top peppers with the remaining 1/2 cup sauce.
-Bake for 30-40 minutes, until tops look bubbly and slightly brown.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment