Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet and Sour Grapefruit Chicken


I would say in the past year or so I have begun to experiment with using fruit in my cooking. For Thanksgiving this year I used apples and cranberries in my stuffing, and for Shabbat I always enjoy when I make Chicken with Olives and Fruit. Citrus, however, is not a fruit that I have cooked with, um, ever. I came across this recipe while going through my cooking scrapbook. It was given to me by an old co-worker that I lost touch with, but I am happy to have this memory of our mornings spent chatting about food and "what's for dinner". I served this dish with a side of Fruited Rice Pilaf, of which you can find many versions on the web. The dried fruit in the pilaf really played off the tartness of the grapefruit marinade.



Sweet and Sour Grapefruit Chicken

Servings: 4

PointsPlus Value per serving: 5

200 calories, 7 grams fat


Ingredients

1/2 cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice

1 Tbsp olive oil

3 Tbsp Ketchup

2 Tbsp soy sauce

2 Tbsp Mustard

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp brown sugar

1/4 tsp black pepper

16 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast

1/2 cup grapefruit sections


Directions

-In a medium sized bowl, mix together all ingredients except for grapefruit sections and chicken.
-Transfer marinade to a zip-lock bag. Add chicken and let sit overnight.
-Pre-heat oven to 375.
-Place chicken and marinade in a shallow baking dish and bake for 30-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

-Cool slightly, plate and top with grapefruit sections.


Healthy Meals to Nourish Your Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment