Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bean there done that--Alyssa's Vegetarian Chili


So who knew that Georgia could be so freaking cold? When we moved from New Jersey I donated many of my sweaters and coats to Goodwill, envisioning a life of short-sleeved shirts and tank-tops. Boy, was I wrong! It is COLD here! So cold, that I needed to whip up one of my graduate school favorites (yes, Syracuse, NY was cold too, but I knew that going into it). My friend Alyssa introduced me to this recipe, and I have been making it ever since. You can use any types of beans, but this combo is my favorite. I know I have featured it before, but I wanted to re-calculate the recipe based on the new Weight Watchers program, so here it is, again, as delicious as ever.


Alyssa’s Vegetarian Chili

8 servings (one cup per serving)
PointsPlus™ Value: 6
150 calories per serving

Ingredients
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can chickpeas
1 can great northern beans
1/2 medium yellow pepper
1/2 medium sweet red pepper
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1 tsp soy sauce
1 packet Chili Seasoning Mix
1 cup water

Instructions

-In a large pot, saute diced onion sand peppers until soft.
-Drain all of the beans and rinse them off with cold water. Add to pot.
-Add remaining ingredients. Simmer on low, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
-Remove lid and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment