Saturday, January 15, 2011

It's all Greek to me--a healthy twist on Spinach Pie


I love Greek food—it uses ingredients that I never really had as a child. My first time using fillo dough I was very intimidated, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. In this recipe you spray each layer of the fillo dough with cooking spray rather than brushing them with butter, eliminating a lot of extra calories and fat. For best results, cook right before you are going to serve, or the top crust will get soggy.

Spanikopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
Serves 4
WW PointsPlus Value: 7
250 calories per serving



Ingredients

6 sheets Fillo dough
4 eggs
6 oz reduced-fat feta cheese
1/2 small raw onion
1 tsp dried dill weed
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp black pepper
20 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained

Instructions
-Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
-Thaw and drain spinach. Place in bowl.
-Dice onions and mix in with spinach.
-Add lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper.
-Wisk together eggs and mix into spinach mixture.
-Add feta cheese and mix until well blended.
-Spray 9x13 pan. Layer 3 piece of filo dough, spraying each layer with PAM.
-Spread spinach mix over evenly.
-Top with last sheet three sheets of filo dough, spraying between each layer and on the top layer.
-Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness - this is sooooo good! My whole family loved it! My son ate three helpings and then asked if we could make it again for dinner tomorrow night!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete