Sunday, June 5, 2011

My first big cooking gig--Chicken with Fruit and Olives + Swedish Almond Torte=success!


The crowd
Tonight was kinda a big night for me--I sort of "catered" my first big event. Sure, I have done small showers and parties, but nothing like this. I was asked to cook for our synagogue's annual fundraiser, and although I have a million things going on this week, it was an opportunity I could not pass up. I decided to bring it back to basics by making my Chicken with Olives and Fruit, knowing that I could prep most of the dish on Friday and simply cook off the recipe on the day of the event. Being that is was a kosher event, I faced the challenge of finding a dessert that did not contain any dairy products. I opted for a Swedish favorite of mine, Mazarinetorta, or Almond Torte, that can be made with margarine and non-dairy pie crust. Healthy? No. Delicious? Yes!

Chicken and Fruit for 150+ people!

The Chicken with Olives and Fruit has made an appearance on my blog a few times. And although I try to focus on healthy meals on my blog, I am making an exception and sharing my recipe for Mazarinetorta. It is surprisingly easy to make. Don't believe me? I made 9 of them in just about an hour!
Mazarinetorta

Mazarinetorta
Calories per serving: You don't want to know.
1 frozen pie crust
225 grams melted margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2/3 cups almond slivers
3 eggs

Garnish
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3-4 strawberries, sliced


Directions:
-Pre-heat oven to 325.
-In a large bowl, beat eggs until slightly frothy. Add sugar, melted margarine and almond extract.
-In a food processor, pulse the almonds until they have a fine, flour like texture. Add to the egg mixture. Stir until well combined.
-Pour mixture into the pie crust.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and center is firm.
-Remove from oven and let cool completely.
-Top with powdered sugar and sliced strawberries.

Not so healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment