Monday, May 30, 2011

Herb-Inspired Dinners


Recently, my summer herb garden has really been a huge inspiration for my cooking. I find that I am constantly running out to grab a sprig of thyme or a few leaves or basil to add flavor to whatever meal I am making. This week, I used a lot of basil, cilantro and rosemary to make our dinners healthy and full of flavor.
Here's our line-up:
Monday: Mom's Meat Sauce with homemade Parmesan-herb bread sticks (I used olive oil as my fat, and a mixture of dried herbs, fresh rosemary and Parmesan cheese to spice up this easy recipe from Epicurious.com)
Tuesday: Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Elexia's Guacamole
Wednesday: Asian Chicken Wraps with cold sesame noodles (I used left over peanut sauce from last weeks Thai-style chicken and tossed it with cold noodles and sesame seeds for a quick and easy side-dish)
Thursday: Falafel with Greek Salad (This is my favorite recipe from MediterrAsian.com--the dressing for this salad, combined with the cheese, can be very high in fat and calories--a teaspoon of dressing goes a long way!)
Friday: Chicken and Rice with homemade Challah 

Chicken and Rice


Chicken and Rice is one of my husband's favorite dinners. It is super easy--here is what you will need:
Ingredients:
1 box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain Rice prepared according to the directions on the box
4 Chicken Cutlets
1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
4 tsp reduced fat margarine spread (I use I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Light)

Directions:
-Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil and spray with PAM.
-Spread the cooked rice on the foil.
-Lay the 4 chicken cutlets on top of the rice.
-Top each cutlet with 1 tsp of margarine and 1/4 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
-Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.

It's a FarmBox week this week, so I am hoping for some amazing veggies to spruce up our Thursday and Friday night dinners.

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment