Monday, December 19, 2011

From freezer to table: Making the most out of what is in your house

I know Farm to Table is big right now, but you know what's big in our house? Freezer to Table. As much as I try to incorporate fresh produce into all of our meals, there are nights that I have to just work with what we have in the house. This seems to especially be true the week before we are heading out of town to visit family or go away on vacation.

Last night I had to scrape together what I could with pantry staples and whatever we had in the freezer. I came across some frozen turkey taco meat but really was not in the mood for the 800 dishes that seem to pile up when I put a taco bar together. My husband had just given me a large rectangular Pizza Stone from Williams Sonoma as an early Hanukkah gift and I was eager to use it. That was how my Turkey Taco Pizza came to be.


Turkey Taco Pizza
Ingredients
1 batch Martha Stewart's Cornmeal Pizza Crust
1/2 pound 93% lean ground turkey or soy crumble meat substitute (for my vegetarian friends out there)
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
1/2 small yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 packet taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded 2% Mexican cheese blend


Directions
-Place pizza stone on bottom rack in oven and preheat to 500 degrees F.
-In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, saute onions and peppers until soft. Add turkey (or soy crumble) and cook until all the pink is gone. Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all the water has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool.
-Spread a large amount of cornmeal on your work surface. Roll out pizza dough so that it is a large rectangle. Transfer rolled-out dough onto a well cornmealed pizza peel (if you don't have a pizza stone or pizza peel, you can use a cookie sheet).
-Spread turkey mixture evenly over your dough, leaving a 1/4 inch boarder around the edge to form your crust. 
-Top with cheese.
-Carefully transfer pizza to your pizza stone and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese begins to bubble and turn brown.
-Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
-Top with sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo for an extra treat!

Healthy meals to nourish your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment